Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What she didn't say

Heading to The University of Oklahoma in 1995 I knew a couple of things for certain. One, I wanted to make friends. Myself and one other LD Bell Blue Raider headed north to OU - thus, it was vital we meet new people. Two, I wanted single beds. No bunk beds. Never slept on a top bunk, didn't want to sleep on a bottom bunk. Believe it or not bunk beds were a near deal breaker for me when I moved in for Rush (now, Recruitment) that hot August day. Oh, yes Rush. Third, I wanted to be in a house (they are not houses - they are chapters) so bad, I could taste it. However, like most 18 year olds who know everything, I knew nothing. But, what I really, really wanted was to have those pictures with the white boarders and party captions printed in blue. Furthermore, I wanted t-shirts with greek letters on them. My sister gave me a party shirt from her college days when I was in high school, and it was a treasured piece of clothing between my Espirt sweatshirt and Units. The pictures were in fact Party Pics...and I went on to own 100s. And, the house I ran to on Bid Day was the one with the anchor....The Delta Gamma House.

Eight weeks later myself and my 46 pledge sisters were initiated into the Alpha Iota Chapter of Delta Gamma. It was a Friday. The date was October 27th. I had much darker hair than I do now. My eyebrows were longer and wider than my birth state, and I weighed so much less than today's ugly scale reveals and sadly I thought I was a bigger girl back then. Crazy perceptions. During Initiation, I can remember sitting on the floor of the living room and hearing a loud senior say, "look around. these ladies will be your best friends." I smiled and most likely winked to the gals sitting around me.That senior forgot to add in a couple more sentences after her last one. She should have said this:

When a Grandma dies your junior year, three of you will sit up all night helping you pack, do your homework, and cover your office hours. When your heart breaks, your pledge sisters wont tell anyone until you're ready to share. Hey you, on your 25th birthday when you are sad, your pledge sisters will let you sleep the whole drive to Colorado, and back. When your sister gets married, these girls will want to hear all about it although they weren't invited. When your DG sisters get married, you all will throw great showers including themes worthy of a book. When one of you is told (at 26) the mass in your right breast is highly suspicious of cancer, a pledge sister will plan to come up and sit with you for THE call. When you buy a house, one of your sister's and her husband will come paint all the wood work and the walls. You'll make lots of jokes about blue carnations, poppyseed chicken, and "on is the alarm." Oh, yes when you all get married you'll be bridesmaids for one another. Yes, all of you. You'll celebrate your 30th birthdays in Vegas, at surprise parties, and in Austin. Plan on destination weddings with lots of dancing. Don't even think about wearing linen. You'll take lots of pictures at The Mont, love to go to OU/texas weekend, and make up a secret group off of a tacky fashion show at Founders' Day. Oh, Founders' Day will become a treasured weekend termed Weekenders. When you all have babies, you'll be godmothers, aunties, and organize meal trains even from a state away. When one of you has a baby at 25 weeks, you'll fly in to just sit and hold the Mama up. Every year on November 1, your pledge sister will call you and wish you Happy Benign Day. When one of you becomes an aunt per adoption, some of you will gather at the airport with glittered signs, video cameras, and tears of joy. Later that year, that beloved niece will suffer a horrific seizure, one of you will bring dinner to her family and just sit. Don't worry, the niece will be just fine in time for one of you to go to London. You'll also attend birthday parties for your future kids....but thankfully there will be spirits. Lastly, all of you have been given membership into the finest women's fraternity in North America....do good and at all times be your sisters' champion.

15 years later I remain dumbfounded what I found at that house with the anchor, in those Party Pics, and that I still wear some of those XL greek letter party shirts to bed. God bless every Delta Gamma...especially those of 744 Elm Avenue...you asked me to join your forever sisterhood, little did I know I was about to meet my champions.
Happy 15 years pledge class 1995!

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She also didn't say that when life doesn't go the way you planned, these women will believe in a bigger and better plan for you. She didn't say that uninitiated mother's, sisters, and friends would be able to see (and experience) the beauty of sisterhood by watching us live our oaths.

Love you dearly.

B Searcy said...

Delta Gamma was already the finest women's fraternity in North America on October 27th, 1995, but its beauty and capacity for doing good were amplified beyond measure that day. How lucky to share sisterhood with you, dear Kate. ITB.

B Searcy said...

Delta Gamma was already the finest women's fraternity in North America on October 27th, 1995, but its beauty and capacity for doing good were amplified beyond measure that day. How lucky to share sisterhood with you, dear Kate. ITB.

Lee Ann said...

I think Weekenders needs to make a return. I was so blessed to have been there at the start of your DG days. You're a star!

Traci B. said...

...and your DG sister will think of you fondly as she watches The Sound of Music cast on Oprah, hoping you recorded it. If you didn't, I did.

But seriously Kate, DG would not have been the same without you.

Traci B. said...

...and your DG sister will think of you fondly as she watches The Sound of Music cast on Oprah, hoping you recorded it. If you didn't, I did.

But seriously Kate, DG would not have been the same without you.

Shayla said...

What a beautiful post, Kate! I recently found your blog through Kelly's Korner and I'm also a Delta Gamma (Eta Gamma - Texas A&M). When I was initiated in 1999, I had no idea what this sisterhood thing was all about. Today I can't imagine life without my DG sisters and the experiences we've shared. I recently moved from Austin to Tulsa and the DG alums welcomed this Texas girl into their group with open arms. This truly is a lifelong sisterhood...and I feel honored to share it with you although we've never met!

Jessi said...

Maybe it's the hormones or that you just spoke to my heart but I am sitting on a plane with tears I'm my eyes. Thanks Kate for reminding all of us what we learn over the years and that Delta Gamma is blessing to us all. ITB jessi

Anonymous said...

She also didn't tell you that miles can't separate hearts, time can't separate friendship, and no one believes in you more than your sorority sisters. Often we believe in each other more than ourselves. LOVE YOU! sam

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Happy Anniversary Pledge Class 1995! What a sweet post Kate!!! It is so true...

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Thanks for the great memories and reminder of how lucky we had/have it!

Katie J.

KLS said...

Thank you, Kate. Thank you for your wonderfully meaningful words, and thank you for all you have done for me and for our wonderful fraternity. I am blessed to have you in my life! ITB

Kami said...

As I'm sitting here with my babies beside me, I cannot imagine a world without my DG sisters in it to share my joys and sorrows. Talk about God's plan when he brought us all together at 744 Elm on Aug. 16, 1995. Love, love, love you Bunk.